Thursday, November 1, 2012

Tasty Vegetarian Chili

 
Happy November, everyone!  I hope y'all enjoyed your Halloween.  I did!  I've been rushing this last week of October to do all of my favorite "fall" activities because we finally had a little cold snap here.  I bought some vegetables at the flea market a couple of weekends ago, and I had to make chili on Tuesday before my veggies went bad!  I love making this chili a couple times every fall and winter.  It is based on this Betty Crocker recipe.... Well it's basically the same except I add extra jalapenos and extra beans.  You could really add or take away anything you want.  I've tried this with veggie (fake meat) crumbles before, and I didn't really like it, though.  Enjoy!

 


Three jalapeno peppers, 1/2 large onion, one green bell pepper, and four cloves of garlic chopped.


Heat up a tablespoon of vegetable oil.  Add chopped veggies.  Your house is going to become very garlicky smelling after this step.  Yum! 


Open all your cans while your veggies get tender.  This takes a long time of you have a shitty can opener like I do.  Ugh.


Drain and rinse your beans.  I added a can of kidney beans that aren't in the recipe.  I've also used pinto or seasoned chili beans, and that worked well, too.  Just make sure you choose something that will hold up well after cooking for almost an hour.


Add undrained tomatoes, water, beans, chili powder, cumin, and kosher salt.  Bring to boil.  Reduce heat and cover for about a half hour.


Meanwhile, open your corn and drain.  If your can opener doesn't work, don't use sharp knives to get in there.  That's so dangerous!


Add corn.  At this point you can simmer for about ten more minutes.  I just turn mine off after about ten or fifteen minutes and let it cool on the stove.  This chili is even better reheated!


Serve over cornbread.  Add sour cream and shredded cheese.  Awesome!

See you next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment