Thursday, May 16, 2013

Julep 'Set the Stage' Collection!

Hello again.  I'm sorry I've been away for a couple of weeks, but I think I'm finally ready to share my thoughts on the May Julep Set the Stage collection! 
Julep Set the Stage Collection.
 
I bought the full upgrade of Julep's Set the Stage collection, which was inspired by the Roaring Twenties.  All of the upgrade boxes for May were shipped late, so I was a little (a lot) annoyed at receiving my box almost a week after everyone else, but the wait was worth it!  This Julep box does not disappoint!

Left to right, Coco, Myrtle, and Gabrielle.
  • Coco, oxblood crème.
  • Myrtle, flapper red crème.
  • Gabrielle, smoky mulberry crème. 
Coco is a rich, brown-red crème.  She's very similar to OPI Skyfall, but a shade darker.  Coco is very dark for a spring/summer collection, but I will still wear it!  Myrtle is a lovely true red crème.  Nothing really special if you already have a couple reds in your collection, but the formula looks great.  Gabrielle is a dusty purple crème.  All of my purple crèmes lean more blue than Gabrielle, so this shade is new to me.  Yay! 

Left to right, Alice, Millie, and Paris.
  •  Alice, antique lilac shimmer.
  • Millie, vintage indigo crème.
  • Paris, multidimensional glitter topcoat. 
I have a couple of other lilac shimmers in my collection, but nothing with silver shimmer like Alice.  She would make a perfectly pretty and girly substitute for all of the pink haters out there!  I've been looking a while for a navy crème polish.  Millie isn't exactly dark enough to be called navy, but she is a very nice inky blue.  Paris is made up of chunky holographic glitter.  I hope Paris is not as thick as Julep's other glitters, but I do think Julep chose the perfect top coat to complement the crèmes in this collection!

Left to right, Zelda, Zora, and Clara.
  • Zelda, pink champagne metallic.
  • Zora, frosted pink pearl.
  • Clara, opaque peach crème. 
Zelda is a badass metallic!  I already wore it and reviewed it hereZora is a frosted pale pink.  Another not so unique polish, but I love frosts and I'm not so sure if I have a light pink frost or not!  Clara is my least favorite shade from this box.  There is no shimmer in Clara, even though it kind of looks like there is in the photo above.  I just think Clara is boring and looks a little bridal-y to me.
 
Etta, an "art deco peridot metallic."
I used my Jules to get the special add-on for this month, Etta.  If you don't know, Julep Jules are reward points that you earn when you purchase Maven boxes or refer friends to Julep.  Etta is another metallic polish; if the formula is anything like Zelda then it should be awesome!
 
Sugar Smooch Lip Scrub.  I tried to eat some.
This Sugar Smooch Lip Scrub smells just like butterscotch!  According to Julep's website, this scrub is made up of brown sugar, molasses, Vitamin E, shea butter, and other conditioning oils.  I haven't used this as a scrub yet, but I did take a big whiff and even dipped my finger in to taste it. (It did not taste good.)  I think I might save the little pot when I'm done to make my own lip scrub or gloss!  I've always wanted to try that.    
 
Julep New York Jazz Trio with Tea for Two, Satin Doll, and Lady in Red.
  • Tea for Two, nude shimmer lip sheer.
  • Satin Doll, poppy lip sheer.
  • Lady in Red, matte crimson lip color. 
The only one of these lipsticks I've tried yet is Satin Doll, which wasn't too orangey at all and was very wearable.  These smell like oranges, and the texture kind of reminds me of the Fresh Sugar Kisses Lip Duo that Sephora had last year as the Beauty Insider birthday gift.

 
Julep Paris Jazz Trio with Charleston, Sweet Lorraine, and Lady in Red.
  • Charleston, cranberry lip sheer.
  • Sweet Lorraine, bubblegum pink lip sheer.
  • Lady in Red, matte crimson lip color.
I hate that I have two of the Lady in Red minis because I rarely wear a red lip.  But I do like the Paris trio better than the New York trio.  The bubblegum pink sheer is right up my alley!
 
My upgrade box also came with an American Beauty Volumizing Mascara.  I don't have a photo of it, but I have been using it everyday and I like it!  It has fibers that strengthen your lashes and encourage growth.  My only beef with this box is that it did not come with the free hair pins that came with the other Maven boxes.  I didn't think I would get much use out of them, but I still felt jipped because I paid for the entire collection and I thought that would've included this month's freebie.  Other than that I LOVE this box! 
 
See you next time! 

No comments:

Post a Comment