Thursday, July 18, 2013

Julep 'California Coast' Collection

We're already only two days away from the opening of the Julep Maven window for August!  I have no idea what to expect from next month's collection, but I really hope I don't love it so I can save my money!  I received my box for July a couple of weeks ago.  I honestly wanted to upgrade to the entire collection because all of July's colors were appealing to me.  I changed my selections about a million times before I decided to try the Modern Beauty box with two add ons, Blakely and Tracy
Julep "California Coast" Collection.  Aren't they all lovely?
Part of my reasoning for passing on the upgrade was that I had saved enough Jules for a free regular sized box.  I was super interested in July's Beach Tonic Dry Body Oil and the Sea Salt Texture Spray, so I chose the Modern Beauty Box which comes with only beauty products and no polishes.  The sprays retail for $23.99 each, so I think I chose the best deal.  If you add on polishes during the Maven selection window they are only five bucks a piece!  Are you confused yet?  Basically, my box was free but I paid ten dollars to add Blakely and Tracy.  Because, you know, how could I not get at least a couple of new nail colors?
My July box.
The Beach Tonic Dry Body Oil is "a blend of lightweight yet nourishing oils that moisturize, condition, and restore elasticity and suppleness to the body."  It promises to absorb quickly and dry to a satiny finish.  I like this a lot and have been using it quite a bit.  This feels greasy on the skin at first, but it does in fact dry to a satiny finish that doesn't feel gross at all.  They call this a citrus scent; I'm not sure if I agree, but it does leave a pleasant soft scent on the skin for most of the day.  But you have to really get close and sniff to smell it.  I like it though because I can wear this and still layer another perfume or body oil to get the scent that I want.  This plus Egyptian Musk is my favorite combo so far!
The boxes these came in are so cute!
I don't have such a glowing review for the Sea Salt Texture Spray.  This spray is supposed to deliver volume and texture to your hair.  I've read a lot of good reviews on this one, but I should have known it wouldn't work for me.  I hate my hair!  I sprayed this on my damp hair and let it air dry.  I thought I would have some badass mermaid hair, but it just looked like my regular hair, but maybe after it had been rained on.  I am going to try again with braided hair and see what happens.  It smells nice though!    
So far this Sea Salt Spray does not work for me.  But it came in another cute box!
I chose Tracy and Blakely as my add ons because they are both completely different than anything I already have in my stash.  Tracy is a "sparkly ocean blue sea salt."  I've had good luck with Julep's textured polishes in the past, so I thought I'd give this one a chance.  I've already worn Tracy once, but I have no photos because this applied waaaay too thick.  It took forever to set and I never really got the desired texture effect so I took it off.  I am going to get some polish thinner and try again! 
Julep Tracy.
Julep describes Blakely as a "purple and green molten," whatever that means.  I would call it a duochrome that shifts between purple and green.  It almost looks like a black pearl.  I love this color, but again, the application was too thick.  I also want to do a redo of this one with thinner!

Julep Blakely.
 Keep scrolling to see the color shift!
Blakely again.  Pretty!
This month's extra was a pack of Green Tea Blotting Papers.  I was disappointed until I tried these after work the other day.  These really do remove shine without removing makeup.  No joke.  And they smell delicious.  I only regret that I didn't get before and after photos, but I wasn't expecting to enjoy them so much!  I must remember to throw these in my purse!
Green Tea Facial Blotting Papers.
 
These rock!
Not including the blotting papers, the contents of this box retail for $74.98!  I definitely think I got my ten dollars worth.  Still, Julep's formulas for their polishes and beauty products continue to be hit or miss.  I love the Beach Tonic Dry Body Oil and the Green Tea Facial Blotting Papers.  And I think I will be able to make Tracy and Blakely work for me.  If you are interested in becoming a Julep Maven, you should use my referral link at the right of this blog (the button that says "I Am a Bombshell").  Get the intro box and enter the code "FREEBOX" and I think all you pay is shipping.  Even though I don't like some of their products, I'm glad that Julep gives you the option to skip a month if you're not feeling it!  By the way, August is Julep's anniversary month, so there are rumors that the next collection is going to be fabulous!  I hope so!  Wait, no I don't.  I said I need to save money.  Aargh!
See you next time! 

No comments:

Post a Comment