Wednesday, June 19, 2013

June Ipsy Review... In Bed!

I am writing this month's Ipsy review from my bed because I didn't want to get out of it today.  Except to check the mail.  And my Ipsy bag was in my mailbox!  So I got back in bed and opened everything.  Check it out! 
June Ipsy Glam Bag, "On the Wild Side."
June's theme is "On the Wild Side" and this month's bag features a glitter palette and a leopard print bag.  The J.cat Sparkling Cream Palette was sent out in two colors, Volta and Suzie.  I was glad to get the warmer palette, Suzie.  This was one of the items I was least looking forward to because I read a lot of bad reviews, but the better choice of the two was Suzie.     
J.cat Sparkling Cream Palette in Suzie.

These glitters are not finely milled or very precise in application.  The reviews describing them as chunky glitter in Vaseline were not too far off, but I liked this palette a little better than I expected.  The texture still reminds me of Halloween makeup, but the rosy copper (second from the left) may be salvageable.  I swatched all five pans in the photos below.
The palette comes with these two applicators.
 
No flash, with natural light from outside.
 
With flash.  The first shade on the left is kind of nice, too.
I'm still not in love with this palette, but it was slightly better than I expected.  I do like the kitty in the company's logo, but I doubt I will buy anything else from them.
Someone posted online that they had to use almost the entire pan to get a decent swatch of each shade, so I wanted to show how much I used from each pan..
I was really looking forward to getting a full sized NYX blush this month, but honestly I was a little disappointed.  First of all, this full sized blush is tiny!  I've never used NYX blush, so I guess I didn't know they were so small.  I wish I would have taken a size comparison photo!   
NYX blush in Angel.
I was crossing my fingers for a blush and not a bronzer, but Angel is so light that I think maybe I should have wished for a bronzer!  Or a cream blush would've been nice.  Angel is shimmery, which I don't mind, but this pink is so fair there is no way it will show up on my face if I'm at all tan.  This color was also impossible to photograph without flash, so my pictures aren't too great!    
At least the little quilted pattern is cute.  Aww.
I attempted to swatch Angel.  When I swiped my brush once, I noticed this is the probably most crumbly blush I have.  This was very messy! 
Now I have blush crumbs AND Dorito crumbs in my sheetz.
It was difficult to get this color to show up, even on the lightest part of arm.  I think maybe I can repurpose this as a browbone eyeshadow though. 
Angel swatched, with flash.
 
Angel swatched, with no flash.
I just signed up for the Starlooks Starbox last month.  I signed up after the deadline, so my first box will be later this month.  I had no idea that Starlooks was going to partner with Ipsy in June!  I got the Starlooks Lip Pencil in Tipsy, which is like a coral pink.  This color was hard to photograph accurately against my red sheets, so I used Huckle as a background.  Also, I broke the tip of my pencil when I was tearing off the plastic wrapper.  Oops.  Here is the best picture of Tipsy that I had! 
Starlooks Lip Pencil in Tipsy.
I like the Chella Ivory Lace Highlighter better than I thought I would.  The pencil is very soft and actually shows up on my skin.  Keep scrolling for a swatch of Tipsy and the Chella Ivory Lace Highlighter!
Chella Ivory Lace Highlighter.
 
I think the lip pencil looks a little less orange in person!
The fifth product in my bag was the Psssst! Instant Dry Shampoo.  Booo.  I wanted the purple gel eyeliner from Cailyn.  I guess you could say I'm "psssst" that I didn't get the eyeliner.  Bwa ha ha ha!  I don't care about this dry shampoo.  I didn't try it yet.  Doubt I will.  Boo. 
Boring.
We got another cute cosmetic bag this month.  Some people thought that the leopard print and neon was juvenile, but it reminds me of Lisa Frank!  I just don't know what to do with all these cosmetic bags! 
Cute.
Ipsy costs $10 a month.  You are charged on the first of the month and bags ship mid-month.  If you use my link to sign up, I might get a prize!  Wanna know how much my June bag was worth?
  • J.cat Sparkling Cream Palette in Suzie, available here for $4.49. 
  • NYX Blush in Angel, available here for $5.00.
  • Starlooks Lip Pencil in Tipsy, available here for $12.00.
  • Chella Ivory Lace Highlighter Pencil, available here for $18.00.
  • Psssst! Instant Dry Shampoo, travel size, available here for $2.99.
Without the cosmetic bag, the value of this bag was $42.48.  Not as good as May, but still worth the ten dollars that I paid.  My only issue this month is that there is a significant difference in the price of some of the variable items.  The eyeliner that I wanted was worth $21.00, while the dry shampoo only has a value of $2.99.  However, I did get the Chella Highlighter worth $18.00 and not the J.cat eyelashes, which were only worth $3.99.  Still, the people that got the highlighter pencil and the gel eyeliner were very lucky!
See you next time!

5 comments:

  1. maybe you can use the NYX Angel as a highlighter on your cheekbones as well as brow bones? i got the mosaic blusher/bronzer but haven't tried it yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good idea. Angel is a pretty color so I will use it somehow. It just disappears on me if I try to wear it as blush alone!

      Delete
  2. I actually really love that color blush! I received Mauve and Boho Chic, both of which I really like, but I love super light, romantic blushes too. They show up so well on my pale skin. Your cat is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would've liked Boho Chic. Oh we'll! I'll tell Huckle you think he's beautiful. He's my best cat friend!

      Delete
    2. Oops, I meant well, not we'll. still getting the hang of autocorrect on iPad!

      Delete