Tuesday, August 20, 2013

August Ipsy 'Glamour Academy'

Hi there!  I received my Ipsy bag last week, on time!  August's bag's theme was "Glamour Academy." Overall I like what I received, even though it is necessary to point out that a Nailtini polish was offered again, and for the second month in a row I did not get one!  WTF.  Anyways, I think Ipsy did a nice job of giving us a bag that will transition us from Summer to Fall!
August Ipsy Glam Bag, "Glamour Academy."
Every bag came with a Lash Booster Mascara from Pixi in Blackest Black.  To be honest with you, I have not even taken the shrink wrap off of this one because I am drowning in mascara samples right now!  I haven't really been impressed with any of the other Pixi products I have tried, although some people seem to enjoy them a lot.  If this mascara would've been in an exciting color like blue or purple, I would've been all over it!


Pixi Lash Booster Mascara in Blackest Black.
One item I was totally hoping to NOT get was the Smashbox Primer.  It seems like every GWP at Sephora or Ulta is either a primer or a mascara.  Argh!  This was one of the variable items.  I don't know what's in my profile that says I would rather get primer than awesome nail polish.  Luckily, this is a tiny sample so I won't feel bad if I wait a while to try it (or give away). 
Smashbox Photo Finish Foundation Primer.
Another one of the variable items that I received is the MicaBeauty shimmer powder in Bronze.  Again, I would've preferred a NYX cream blush or a Nailtini polish, but I have gotten a lot of use out of the other MicaBeauty products I have, so this will get used.  The only reason I didn't really want this is because I just got some bronze powder from Starlooks, but I actually think I prefer the MicaBeauty because it is more multidimensional.  They are all equally messy, though.
MicaBeauty Shimmer Powder in Bronze.
Below is a comparison of Earth, from April's bag, and Bronze, from this month.  They are quite different!
Comparison of Earth (left) and Bronze (right).
 
Shimmer powder is messy!
My favorite item from this bag is the Michael Todd Pumpkin Mask!  The other option was a Charcoal Jojoba Scrub, which I think I would've enjoyed too, but I was really hoping for the mask because I love pumpkin.  This smells like pumpkin, not like sweetened pumpkin pie filling, but more like the flesh of a pumpkin mixed with cat food.  Which is a winning combo for me, but I'm weird.  Oh, and the tube totally matches my nail polish I am wearing today.
Michael Todd Pumpkin Mask.
Michael Todd Pumpkin Mask... looks like baby food.
At 1 fl oz, this is a nice generous size sample!  Reading the info on the back, this says that this is a nutrient-rich mask that uses the benefits of pumpkin blended with Glycolic Acid.  There is also a warning to stay out of the sun after use, and to only use in intervals of 1-2 weeks.  Oh HELL yeah!  Frankly, for me, if a mask doesn't feel like my face is burning off, then I don't feel like it's working.  I can't wait to try this one.  With any luck, I won't look like Kim Catrall in that one episode of SATC when Samantha got a chemical peel.  Or maybe I do want to look like that?

Hopefully I won't look like this after the pumpkin mask!

The most highly coveted item this month was the Urban Decay Revolution Lipstick.  The "or" item for this was a lip balm by Noya, which I am sure was lovely, but I would've been sad if I didn't get to try the lipstick.  There were two colors sent out, Anarchy and 69.  Anarchy is a bright fuchsia and 69 is a red that kind of leans pink; I wanted Anarchy but I got 69.  Oh well.  I still preferred this over the lip balm.  The more I wear it, the more it grows on me! 
Urban Decay Revolution Lipstick in 69.
The Revolution Lispticks are a complete relaunch for Urban Decay.  I never tried their lipsticks before, but I heard they smelled awful, which would've made me crazy!  This mini-lipstick is cute, and I like the card it came in with the other colors in the Revolution assortment.  Today, my favorites are Rapture, Fiend, and Naked.  (But I like A LOT of them!)  

I see too many colors her that I would like to own!
Some people have criticized Urban Decay for trying too hard to be an edgy brand with misogynistic names like Bang and 69.  For the record, this subject makes me chuckle, but it did make for an interesting read in some online makeup forums.  These names don't offend me; what do you think?
Scroll for some fun pictures of me with 69!     
Me with Urban Decay 69.
 
Another swatch of 69.
 Finally, the bag.  It's very Harry Potter-esque.  And it's purple!
August's bag.
I apologize for my laziness, but I'm not going to break down the values of this bag individually this month!  No full size items this month, except maybe the MicaBeauty shadow.  Ipsy estimates this bag to be worth $45, which is goo enough for me!  Ipsy costs $10 on the first of every month, or $110 annually.  If you are interested in signing up, here is my referral link.  The referral gift changes every month!

See you next time! 

No comments:

Post a Comment